My husband LOVES fish tacos so I knew I needed to try them out. I did a bit of research online and kind of created my own recipe that I thought I would share with all of you.
As far as the fish, we went with Cod from Sitka Salmon Shares. They have amazingly fresh fish that is delivered to your door frozen. You can sign up for their monthly shares and get $25 OFF with code GOLDCOAST.
With the tacos, I decided to use panko breadcrumbs and bake them instead of frying them to give them a bit of a healthier vibe. I also created a avocado cream and cabbage slaw to top them with as well as a side of mexican street corn.
Some of my favorite fish taco toppings include:
- Avocado cream (see recipe below)
- Lime slaw (see recipe below)
- Fresh sliced avocados
- Diced tomatoes
- Warm flour tortillas
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FISH:
- 1.5 lbs of firm white fish cut into 2 inch pieces (we used cod from Sitka Salmon)
- 1 cup of panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of cracked pepper
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix together the panko breadcrumbs, garlic powder, cumin, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Then add the whisked egg in another bowl.
3. Dip each fish piece in the egg so that it is evenly coated on all sides. Then transfer the fish to the panko mixture and gently press it on so that the fish is evenly coated. Transfer pieces onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
4. Bake the fish for 10-15 minutes or until it is cooked through and easily flakes with a fork.
5. Assemble your tacos by adding lime slaw (see recipe blow), avocado cream (see recipe blow), sliced avocado, diced tomatoes, and of course warm flour tortillas
To go along with the fish, I also made a lime slaw and avocado creama. See both recipes below:
INGREDIENTS FOR LIME SLAW:
- 1 cup of plain greek yogurt (you could also use mayo or sour cream for a tangier flavor)
- 1/4 cup of fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 14oz bag of coleslaw mix or cabbage mix
1. Combine the greek yogurt, lime juice, cumin, salt, pepper, garlic in a bowl and mix together. You can use a food processor if you want a finer chop.
2. Pour the sauce over the coleslaw mix and stir together until evenly combined.
3. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
INGREDIENTS FOR AVOCADO CREMA:
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 1 cup of Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 garlic cloves
- Juice from 2 limes
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Mash together the avocados, yogurt (or sour cream), garlic, and lime juice until completely smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
So there you have it! Crispy baked fish tacos with an easy lime slaw and avocado crema. If you decide to make these make sure to tag me on Instagram! So delish!