Happy July friends! Did you know that July is National Ice Cream month and what better way to celebrate then with an ice cream cake. Belive it or not, the 4th of July is on Thursday and today I’ve teamed up with Hudsonville Ice Cream to share the perfect patriotic treat that will for sure be a party crowd pleaser.
If you haven’t heard of Hudsonville Ice Cream before, then you’re really missing out. They’re a midwest crafted creamery with a strong work ethic and a passion for creating the best ice cream around. They were founded in Western Michigan and have been perfecting the art of ice cream since 1926. Not sure where to find it? Use their scoop locator to find a store near you.
To help make this the Sweetest Summer Ever, Hudsonville Ice Cream is offering $2 OFF any 48oz. flavor of Hudsonville Ice Cream with THIS COUPON. You can also enter Hudsonville’s Sweetest Summer Ever Sweepstakes, where you will have the chance to win prizes each week through the entire summer HERE.
Now back to this amazing American flag ice cream cake… Since it’s National Ice Cream month after all, I wanted to create a little spin on the traditional American flag cake and incorporate the perfect summertime treat which is ice cream. Currently Hudsonville Ice Cream has two limited edition flavors including Strawberry Shortcake and Blueberry Cobbler. Both would make a great addition to your ice cream cake.
What I especially love about this recipe is that it’s totally customizable. It’s all about layers and add-ons and you can pick and choose your own favorite flavors. For mine, I did a layer of Strawberry Shortcake and a layer of Creamery Blend Vanilla. For the stars and stripes, I went with blueberries and raspberries, but you could totally use strawberries too or even sprinkles!
FOR THIS ICE CREAM CAKE I CREATED 5 LAYERS:
1. Chocolate cookie crust
2. Hudsonville’s Strawberry Shortcake ice cream
3. Hudsonville’s Creamery Blend Vanilla ice cream
4. Whip cream
5. Fresh fruit (blueberries + strawberries)
BEFORE I SHARE THE ENTIRE RECIPE, I WANTED TO LET YOU IN ON A FEW TIPS THAT WILL HELP YOU CREATE A SUCCESSFUL ICE CREAM CAKE:
1. Make sure to soften the ice cream beforehand by leaving it out for a bit. I also transferred mine into a big metal bowl and smoothed it out by stirring it around for a bit to create a smooth uniform texture.
2. Make sure the freeze the cake for 15-20 minutes in between adding each layer. This will prevent it from melting into one big blob.
3. After the whip cream topping, let the cake sit overnight before adding the final fresh fruit layer. Otherwise all the fruit will sink into the whip cream topping and you will have a hot mess (literally)!
4. Use a spatula when spreading out each layer. It will help evenly distribute the cookie crust, ice cream, whip cream topping, etc. and will really help with the overall process.
5. When cutting the cake, first run your sharp knife under hot water. This will help create a clean cut.
6. Since we are dealing with ice cream here, leave the cake in the freezer until you are ready to serve because otherwise it will obviously begin to melt.
NOW ONTO THE RECIPE:
So there you have it! A pretty and delicious American flag ice cream cake. It’s really simple to make, just takes a bit of patience, but well worth the wait. As I said above, it’s totally customizable and you can pick and choose the ice cream flavors and decor you want to use on top. Just make sure to use quality ice cream (like Hudsonville Ice Cream) because that is truly the shining star.
See some more photos below:
You can not only make this recipe for the 4th of July, but also for any get together with family and friends, parties, or BBQs you have planned this summer. It’s easy to make and the perfect summertime treat! Lastly, it makes great leftovers and lasts a long time because it’s in the freezer.
WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR THE 4TH OF JULY?! I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR!
*A huge thank you to Hudsonville Ice Cream for partnering on this post. As always, all opinions are my own.